Saturday, February 5, 2011

Cabin Fever.

The weather here in the DFW area has been cold.  I just wanted to mention it for anyone who quite possibly didn't know.

I am blessed to have a roommate for so many reasons, but in times like these - times when leaving your abode is not an option - it has been wonderful.  Cabin fever set in quickly and I felt that everyone I was talking to was feeling a bit stir crazy.  Since leaving home was nothing more than a flitting wish, my roommate and I kept ourselves busy playing board games (well, the Game of Life, really) and laughing.  The most laughter ensued over the multiple blackouts we had on Wednesday morning.  Honestly, we laughed a ton during those moments because what else is there to do but laugh.

But then, the glorious day of Thursday arrived and we had had enough.  We ventured out to Northpark to shop.  It was wonderful.  We were actually seeing other people - and the friendliest people at that!  I think that human interaction had been so low over the past few days that people were sparking up conversations left and right with us just to hear the sound of people's voices.  It was wonderful, and a bit odd.  However, I am not one to shy away from a stranger's conversation, and they were all welcomed!  I met an Ann Taylor Loft store employee from Louisiana - from the Monroe area who is studying to become a nurse; a Nordstrom's employee who could not have been more excited to be out of school for the week; a lady who was very concerned about this weather for the Super Bowl - she truly felt for all of the hard working people who put forth so much effort to make this a great location for the game (loved her heart in this); and lastly, a Nordstrom's employee studying to be a teacher - which, in my opinion IS the best profession available; though I may be biased. 

Throughout my trip to the mall there were a few times I wanted to make small talk with families and their children just so that I could ask, "and are you in the 2nd grade?  I teach 2nd grade, isn't it the best?!"  Even though I don't think families would have minded at this moment - remember, human contact had been limited to that of your immediate family at best - I didn't want to be the weird person who brings up school to these children on their amazing surprise week off.  But, the looks on some of these parent's faces made me think they would welcome school back with open arms ANY day now.  Kids were jumping on everything at the mall.  They were sliding down ramps, running up stairs, and racing up escalators.  They were waving at any and every person who walked past them.  They were being kids - kids who, after a week, finally escaped into the outside world, and what a world it was!  I can only assume these were the actions of nearly every kid throughout the DFW metroplex.  And even after observing all of this craziness, it made me miss my kids so much.

I can't wait to see their faces again, hear about how they entertained themselves over the week (some of those stories should be funny!), and simply get back to seeing my 23 blessings again!  I can't lie and say that I have not enjoyed myself over these past days or that I have not enjoyed sleeping in.  I have.  I've enjoyed relaxing, watching movies all day, and having quiet times late into the night knowing that I don't have to wake up at 5:15.  But it is a great feeling knowing that after all of these days, I have 23 smiling faces to return to.  Students who welcome me back with smiles, and hugs, and stories, and laughter.  And I welcome them back with the same.  I've missed them and it will be great to get back!

Teaching/Getting through the Icepocolypse at the feet of the Father, 
Amanda/Ms. B

No comments:

Post a Comment