Thursday, March 17, 2011

Spring Break

It has been AGES since I've last updated.  I'd like to say that I've been filling my life with extraordinary adventures and such, which would be the reason I have not been posting.  However, the truth is more fitting - I have simply been either too busy, too lazy, or too forgetful (oops...).

At this very moment it is Spring Break.  I'm sitting in the living room of my parents house posting - which is such a simple blessing.  I had not been "home" since Christmas break and being back in my parents' house has been wonderful.

The break has been very relaxing - which is much needed in order to tackle the remaining 11 weeks of the year with the excitement and energy it (and all of my little ones) deserve. 

My family, along with many others, are throwing an engagement party for an elementary school friend of mine.

Well, a little backstory on these many families:

In the first grade I moved to a school called Westminster Elementary.  Best and most precious school ever.  I am sure many of you are biased toward your elementary school and perhaps think it was the best; however, you did not go to Westminster, so you are mistaken (this is the point in my story telling where almost all of my students would shout out "opinion," and I applaud them for this - but this is indeed a fact). 

There are many reasons why it was precious: 1) the teachers were incredible; 2) my friends were unbelievable; 3) there was much responsibility put onto us at such a young age and it made us feel SO valued and grown up; and 4) it was where I was inspired to become a teacher (since the 1st grade, but in actuality I give most of the credit to my 4th grade teacher, Mrs. Thompson, who was by far the biggest inspiration in my life of becoming a teacher).

I made life long friends there, which I can say with much certainty since many of my friends today I met at Westminster.  And here is where the "many families" come into play.  Through the numerous school events, functions, Brownie meetings, sporting events, you name it, all of our parents got to know eachother.  My parents became friends with my friends' parents, and the group started growing from there.  Families with children a year or two above us became friends of my family, and most of us went to school together.  All together, it's 8 families: 19 children and 16 parents.  We're quite a bunch when you put us all together.  All of our parents live in the same neighborhood, go to church together, and get together often.  We're all bound together in a group called the Yakkity Yaks with the mascot of a dragon fly - I know, it's ridiculous.

Through the years we have all stayed very close.  Though mulitple vacations to the beach; kids' bridge lessons in '97; Calloway Gardens in Pine Mountain, GA, in 2000; swim team; lake trips; etc; we have managed to form a lifelong bond.  My family and another built a beach house not too long ago in Fort Morgan, AL, and soon after, another family in the group built one 4 houses down.  Needless to say, it'll be hard to separate everyone.  I've been in two weddings of my 1st grade friends, and at some point they'll be in mine.  I think this is why I look at my students differently.  The friendships they're making are possibily the same that I made and I realize how truly blessed I am.  I can't imagine having grown up any other way, without these 7 sets of extra parents and all of these pseudo brothers and sisters.  I only hope I am as blessed to have the same type of group when I start a family.

Well my goodness, since you've now read about my childhood, on to the engagement party. 

In August, another one of the Yakkity Yak kids is getting married and my parents, along with 7 other couples, are hosting the engagement party.  The parties rotate around the group, they have thrown them for every one of the YY kids who've been engaged.  The difference in hosting this time is that my parents are actually having the party at our house.  So, yes, I've been relaxing while my parents have been working like mad to make our already beautiful house even more beautiful.  They've redone the bathrooms (granite, granite, granite), bought new outdoor furniture, powerwashed, painted, weeded, edged,  mowed, and anything else you can think of.  I'd like to say I helped, but alas, my mom truly wanted me to rest - so I heeded her wish and I have been.

I'm excited to see all of my childhood friends on Friday.  When someone gets engaged it's one of those times - like the anual Christmas Eve Eve party - that I know everyone will be together again.  I'm excited to see their spouses, hear about their children, and celebrate the news of a new pregnancy!  It's crazy how life changes, but when I see these friends it all feels exactly the same.  We reminisce, catch up, and look to the future.  I am beyond blessed with family friends like these.  I have grown up within such an amazing circle of people. 

I have learned a lot from my parents about friendship.  These are obviously not their only friends - believe it or not, there's another group.  The group from which my godparents were chosen.  My parents make and keep friends easily.  They are loyal, trustworthy, fun, and spontaneous (when need be) friends.  I pray I am at least some of these things.  Thanks, Mama and Daddy, for showing me what I aspire to be as a friend. 

So bring it on, future Yakkity Yak group of my life (whatever we may be called)...I'm ready :)

Learning at the feet of the Father,
Amanda

2 comments:

  1. WOW! This is in amazingly touching post! I don't have any school friends from elementary school as in South Africa, it isn't a big thing for parents to become friends... And I also learnt in elementary school that being a teacher was my dream! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Though this comment back is EXTREMELY overdue, I truly love that you read my blog! I love hearing about how passionate you are for teaching and I love that the internet can connect people from South Africa to the US. I hope you are having a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete